Saturday, July 5, 2008

ON THIS DAY: FERNANDO SIGNS IN

Liverpool smashed their transfer record on this day last year when they swooped to sign a young striker by the name of Fernando Torres from Atletico Madrid.
The Spain international arrived with a reputation as one of La Liga's brightest talents and he wasted no time in settling into life on Merseyside, netting a goal on his Anfield debut in a 1-1 draw with Chelsea.

He went on to break the record for most Premier League goals scored by a foreigner in a debut season when he plundered his 24th in the final match of the season at Spurs. It was his 33rd in all-competitions in what was a sensational first campaign with the Reds.

In his first interview on arriving he told the club's official website how pleased he was to have signed for one of the biggest clubs in the world.

"I am very, very happy," he said. "This was the biggest decision of my footballing life but I've come to a winning club. This is a club of champions - one of the biggest there is. I now want to play my part in that and be a champion too and help the club progress.

"Obviously growing up in Spain you are aware of all the big clubs there, but you also keep an eye on Europe, and Liverpool always catches the eye. It always did for me. I had older brothers who'd tell me about the likes of Keegan and Rush, but the first players I remember seeing as a fan are players like Robbie Fowler. My main memory is seeing Liverpool's incredible record in Europe, and I certainly followed that closely.

"You have certain chances in life. You can't afford to miss them because they only come around once. I've been with Atletico since I was 10, I've grown up as a person and a player there. But we haven't been getting the opportunities to play in Europe and I think I now need to take that step up."

* hari yg cukup bersejarah utk smua koppites. he made this team a lot more interesting....

0 Comments: